||Not Active **
||Not Active **
** The artwork was installed on the Edinburgh North region in the
Virtual World Second Life from
January 2008 to December 2010.
A multi-media virtual world installation inspired by dramatic
landscape and historical events off Flamborough Head in Yorkshire.
- Ai Austin
- Austin Tate
- Julian Wagstaff
- Title: The Battle of Flamborough Head
- Composer: Julian Wagstaff
- Date: 2001
John Paul Jones Cast Recording
- Performers: The Freedom Company
- Producer: Mick McGarr
- The Battle of Flamborough Head
was during the American War of Independence and
John Paul Jones,
a Scots-born sailor who had taken America's cause,
claimed a famous victory against the British navy off the East Yorkshire
- Julian Wagstaff's 2001 stage musical "John Paul Jones" was a
biographical piece about the life of this extraordinary Scot, the
son of a gardener who ran away to sea at the age of 13, took America's
side in the independence war, was knighted by the king of France,
fought for Catherine the Great of Russia and died amid the tumult of
the French Revolution. Julian was at pains to be as faithful as
possible to the historical record when writing the libretto - as far
as humanly possible within the demands of dramatic narrative.
This musical is scored for a theatre orchestra of 16 players, 9 principal
voices and a 30-strong company. The first production was presented in
Edinburgh by the Freedom Company in 2001, where it was enthusiastically
- Music (MP3 Files)
- The creators are linked via their association with the School of
Informatics at the University of Edinburgh and came together to create
this virtual world installation on Vue
(http://vue.ed.ac.uk) in Second
in December 2007 and January 2008.
- Julian Wagstaff is a composer and musician working mainly in the field
of concert music and musical theatre. He was supported by the School
of Informatics in the production of his opera The Turing Test which
was premiered at the Edinburgh Festival in 2007. [ http://www.julianwagstaff.com
- Austin Tate is Director of the Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute in the School of Informatics and heads Vue - the Virtual University of Edinburgh. He has been the principal designer of the Vue regions in Second Life and is a 3D modeller and graphic artist.
[ http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/ ]
- Ai Austin is Austin Tate's avatar in Second Life. He created
the in-world installation and effects.
[ http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~ai/ ]
- The piece includes an in-world controller to activate kinetic
movement of objects, waves, coloured lighting, atmospheric and
particle effects. A visualisation of the music was created using the
Sony PlayStation2 music player visualisation to add to object faces.
- Media Resources
- © individual contributors.
Page maintaied by Ai Austin
Updated: Thu Dec 14 09:01:49 2017